Thursday, December 18, 2003

Maria G.

That's all the tag said.

We took it off the tree at my office and later discovered that our tag represented an 11 year old girl who wanted a list of things for Christmas that would be virtually impossible for her to get if not for the Concept 7 program and my company's annual tradition of covering a huge Christmas tree in the lobby with tags, each representing a child who has been removed from their home of origin and is currently in foster care.

We took our role seriously, carefully fulfilling our share of her wishes. Today we left her presents under the tree with her name carefully attached to the packages. Maria G. Size 8.

I wonder where her parents will be this Christmas? I wonder if she misses them? And suddenly I am overcome with emotion for this child. "Oh Maria G, I pray that these gifts would be only a fraction of the surprises God has in store for you. I pray that you would know the God who has carved you into the palm of His hand. The God who really sees. " and I am thankful for you Maria G. So thankful. You don't know it, but you have given Christmas to me this season.

If I dare, I can take in the scope of the big giant Christmas tree in the lobby and the many, many names on it. One tree in one office in one city in one county and so on and so on. So very many children separated from their parents, in most cases for their own good. It overwhelms me. The thought of all those needy children likens itself in my mind to the traffic that is extra heavy this time of year, the crowds in the malls and parking lots, the noisy noise every where I turn -- I can't grasp them. I can't even think of them -- there are too many.

But I can think of you, Maria. And even though my eyes will never know you, my heart sees you.

Merry Christmas, Maria G. May all your dreams come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home