Saturday, December 13, 2003

There is something really cool I want to share with you about the episode we've had with my daughter. The drama hasn't gone away entirely, but it has subsided for the moment. For me, there was a letter written to the faculty, many tears shed, many anguished prayers said, time spent agonizing what to do next -- for those of you who know me, this is a fairly predictable pattern for me if I get pushed over the edge. (I wish I could see "the edge" coming and be a little more proactive...Still working on it.) My husband on the other hand sort of shrugs it off. The drama of it all is not for him. He sort of watches me flapping around. I think it actually amuses him. It's not like he's in denial and doesn't do anything. It's what he did do that made all the difference.

He handled the "pickups" at school for the last couple of days. He came for her, came right to the door of her class, and waited. He did this for two days. He didn't have to speak. He didn't have to "do" anything really. He's a really big guy -- not very tall (6ft - a lot taller than the kids and most of the teachers) but he has a really big intimidating presence. He's big from the inside out. He is an ex-marine (they say they never really leave the marines...), a football coach, a plumbing contractor -- He has MAN written all over him. He's not what you'd call a "bubbly" sort of personality, to say the least. With him, eye contact could be construed as an act of aggression. He could stare down a lion. And he did this; Just stood there, big arms folded across his big chest, legs apart, big neck and flat top head, watching and waiting. When that bell rang, every kid had to maneuver around him until she came out. His little girl.

His mere presence made her safe. No one could hurt her. (No one would dare.) No matter how insecure the events of the last couple of weeks might have made her feel, his presence outside of her door gave her everything she needed. He didn't have to speak to anyone. Her bodyguard.

And as long as he was there, she had nothing to fear. Everything would be okay. In fact, just his being there reminded her that he was always in her court, even when she didn't see him outside that door.

This speaks volumes to me of God the Father. This is the Lion of Judah. He stands like a sentinel in view of our enemies. He is our brick wall of safety, provision, protection, unending love. Our hero. Our bodyguard. We are armed and secured in the love of Jesus.
(Isa 40:10-13) "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish. Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all. For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."

And if all that wasn't enough, my husband took my daughter to see the Mighty Ducks. They sat against the glass behind the net. Father and daughter at the hockey game.

Kudos, hubby. You're tops in my book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Gabriel Frost said...

Great blog postt

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home