Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Well, as you may have read in the Shout Outs, we lost the game. Not by much, I must add, and although it was disappointing, the boys had an incredible experience that not many 13 year olds will share. It was a truly awesome way to close the door on 7 years of Pee Wee football -- for all of us.

And just to let you know, we were the underdog team this year. We had a horrible start for a thousand reasons: injuries, illnesses -- we took on new players and said goodbye to others we counted on in the past. Although we had "been a contender" in years gone by, this year our future looked grim from the very start. We went into the playoffs ranked #4 in our league (I think the lowest we had ever sunk). And that's when the unexpected began to unfold. We eliminated the #1 team in the first round of playoffs. We went on to beat the #2 team to become the AFL champions. And we went to the Superbowl. Against all odds. We were in fact the first #4 team to ever make it all the way to the Superbowl. Wow.

And I have to say that our football experience has been amazing in many ways. What a great way for our little boys to become young men--their battles on the football field so like life in many ways. No guarantees. Show up and play your best game. Play hard until your time runs out. Enjoy life's victories, and face defeat with grace. Stand together -- no one makes it into the end zone unless everyone does his job. Everyone, no matter how small, is imperative to the group. If you get knocked over, get up and get back in the game. They may beat you this quarter, but you'll get 'em next time. Perservere. Dig in. Push Through. Never Surrender. And most importantly: Anything is possible. Anything.

But now it's over. Really over. No more Pee Wee football for us. The end of an era. I can't begin to describe my grief. It is actually surprising me -- the football time commitment is overwhelming, especially for my husband. We are notoriously overextended during football season and breathe a sigh of relief when it ends just in time for Christmas. (Well at least I do) But not this year. Because this year there isn't a "we'll get 'em next year" or a "see you in a couple of months". There's a goodbye this time. A big one. Heavy is that door that closes on the past. We can look through the window, but we may never pass through it again.

My fellow football mom captured our hearts when she wrote a note to all of us that I am printing here with her permission:

It's early Saturday morning before the big game. Everyone is still asleep in my house, while I'm sitting here writing to you with tears rolling down my face & my heart breaking.

I can't help but think everything I do today, is "One last time". Whether it be checking for Patriot e-mail, OCJAAF updates, washing practice pants, jerseys, under armor & girdles, etc., making sure the player contract book is updated & ready....dress Jenna in red, white, & blue, load up the megaphones & cowbell. One last time.

Sure, there is high school, but we all know, it will never be the same again. The end of our SOC Patriots era is over after tonight. I can't stop the tears. Only in youth football, do Mom's sit along the sidelines to watch their babies grunt, sweat, & hear the shoulder pads make that loud crack when they come in contact with another player. And the boys like it! Could you imagine, us doing it in high school? The boys would cringe. The tears of joy & sorrow we have shared on the sidelines. Watching our sons grow up to be awesome young men. No, after tonight, it will never be the same. We will go on to new experiences, new friendships, but it will never be the same as Patriot football.

I know I will be fine & move on after all the dust settles. But today, my dear Patriot sisters, although my heart is breaking I will forever hold all of your dear & close to my heart.

I love you.
Ruby


Wouldn't you know it -- all the places I looked for God, and he was right there on the sidelines with us all along. Thanks for your note, Ruby. We love you, too. "blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." I am so going to miss you all.

I'm closing with a piece of a Radio Disney tune that actually made me cry today (once again proving I am a big dork...)

"...come tomorrow it'll be

so yesterday, so yesterday

I'm just a bird who's already flown away..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home