Friday, December 05, 2003

Great quote:

"But we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Helen Keller

So nice in conjunction with the football end of season note. Thanks Lord.


Frantically unpacking Christmas decorations -- my obsession with football has allowed the Christmas season to sneak up on me. Somehow, every year, I pack away Christmas with a system that at the time I think will be easy to decipher when unpacking. And equally, every year, I unpack the decorations without a clue of what I was thinking last year. Hello. It is now ingrained into my family history as a part of the tradition. The plan. Mom will be clueless. And so it is.

I have this desire to bring the Christmas decor into a clean and organized house. This has never yet happened. Ever.

I am currently pleased with our progress despite football, the flu and "The Schedule". I do, however, have about 6 large cases in my living room at this precise moment -- completely in the way of any "living" we could attempt. It is quite late (about 1 am). I just finished working (long story -- I have a home office) and I thought in my caffeinated state that now would be a good time to complete the decorating process. (Psycho...) Everyone is asleep. Letterman is on TV (someone else now -- looks like Jack Black on the Craig-something show...) I try to quietly attach my garland to windows -- BANG! -- I smash my foot into a dust pan (full of dust which I intended to discard) Loud Noise invokes snoring Santa (somehow triggered by clapping sounds...) Santa noise freaks out the parakeet (Joey from Australia) who starts a loud banter calling to the dog (Cole -- who would at any time like to eat Joey). Cole arrives in the messy living room, sometimes whining, sometimes barking. He is very excited to be invoked by the yummy looking bird. (is anyone still sleeping? I seriously doubt it...) Merry Merry Ho Ho Ho.....

After shushing the dog, I give up the decorating to write you all this quickie note.

Despite the chaos, Christmas is and will always be my Favorite Time of Year. No matter what. (and please make a note of this -- I might forget...)

And back, for a moment, on to the quote trail...
"Our way is not soft grass, it's a mountain path with lots of rocks. But it goes upwards, forward, toward the sun." (Dr. Ruth Westheimer -- (no laughing please).)

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it----walk." (Ayn Rand)

"put one foot in front of the other. And soon you are walking out the door...." (can't remember -- was it Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? somewhere on the way to the island of misfit toys?)

and finally, "shut up and walk already". Me.

Merry Christmas, part one. May all your decorating go smoothly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home