Saturday, August 20, 2005

We're finally back on track after nearly a month of traveling. Summer sport commitments ended after the lacrosse tournament, and picked up again this week. We tried to take advantage of every "free" minute and found ourselves bouncing around all over the place. I'm sure stories of our adventures will surface over the weeks to come, but just as a quick synopsis, I'll try to cover the highlights here.

We started off in Iowa, where in addition to our usual trip to a small town near Des Moines, we ventured North to the beautiful town of Elkader (on the Turkey River)where we visited my sister-in-law and her family. We went to the Big Springs Fish Hatchery, George Maier's Rural Heritage Center (where we met George himself who gave us a private tour of his incredible collection in his wheelchair), the Osbourne Visitor, Welcome and Nature Center (we called this the "Elkader Zoo" - the collection included a Black Bear, a Grey Wolf, about 10 birds of prey, coyote, deer, turtles and a Mountain Lion), the State of Wisconsin (our first time and a big deal to my son, a huge Green Bay Packers fan) and Pikes Peak State Park (overlooking the Mississipi River). We hiked every available trail and visited old graveyards (1800s mostly). We returned to Southern Iowa to see the rest of the cousins and to help Grandma harvest some of her amazing tomatoes and corn. (Bushels and bushels of tomatoes the size of softballs!) Picking corn was my personal favorite as I had never done this before and didn't realize how tough it could be. I know now there's a bit of a trick to it -- a sort of holding-in-the-right-spot-and-snapping sort of trick -- until I figured it out, you could pinpoint my location in the corn crop quite easily. Just look for the corn plant that was "movin' and shakin'", and that would be me, wrestling to pull the corn from the stalk. Visits with all the Great-Grandparents rounded off the trip (3 living Greats -- Grandma S. celebrated her 90th birthday, while Grandma and Grandpa Johnson celebrated their 71st wedding anniversary this year...).

We came home to California for a short while, buried our beloved tortoise (as you know), caught up with as much work as possible and even made it to a wonderful Jack Johnson concert before rushing off to New York to visit my side of the family. We didn't even unpack, really.

My sister met us at JFK with her husband and her NEW BABY! (He is every bit as gorgeous as the photos and more!) My kids went out East on Long Island with my parents to the Summerhouse and I stayed for a short while with my sister and her new shiny family. I had 3 glorious days of baby holding, feeding, rocking, cooing, etc. Heavy Sigh. Then off to the East End where for the first time in 20 years I revisited my family's Summerhouse. What a great way to end a hectic month! We went clamming every day in Noyac Bay(my daughter is queen of clamming), took the boat out around Jessup's Neck, visited cemetaries that dated back to the 1600s. We hung out in Sag Harbor, a beautiful old whaling village, and visited my favorite old lighthouse at Montauk Point. Hurricane Irene passed by New York at a reasonable distance out to sea. Close enough to bring in a wonderful swell. My son found the surfers, managed to purchase a used board, and surfed Irene in the green/gray Atlantic. I had a short and glorious visit with my baby brother, an even shorter visit with my Grandfather (90 years young) and Aunt, then back to my sister and her lovely family before we had to say goodbye. It was very hard to leave, but in short, great to come home.

I'll try to add links to this post so I can share some of these spots with you. Right now I have to rush off to pick up and deliver my kids to their various commitments. Back to normal...

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow. Looks like I'm being hit by advertisers. Does anyone know how to prevent this?

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow. 6 Ads. I tried deleting them (it seems a successful tactic, but could get a little time-consuming if the spam gets worse...). Let me know if you know of a way to block these?

8:38 AM  
Blogger JoMo said...

Hi Kim!
I have no idea how to stop spam on blog comments--I've never gotten any!
Sigh. Your post makes me homesick for family! And reminds me of my childhood on Long Island. We used to go out to Montauk Point too. I remember staying at a place called Gurney's Inn. And the town I grew up in (Cold Spring Harbor) had a whaling museum, too.
Susan

2:27 PM  
Blogger Preston said...

Kim - one way that some people prevent spam is to not allow anonymous commenting. I just started getting spam, but I am reluctant to do this, I think some might choose not to post if they had to go through the rigamarole of making a blogger identity.

But you've had a few here, me no so many.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I love Cold Spring Harbor! We often visited the whaling museum there, and the fish hatchery, and the old church (can't remember what kind), and of course the old cemetary. I used to fantasize about moving home to Long Island and living in Cold Spring Harbor -- it was the happy medium between NYC and the East End. I almost took a job at Gurney's Inn right out of college. I actually paused this trip and wondered what if...

No regrets, however. I wouldn't trade this life for that one. No way.

Love and miss you Suebee! Hope all is going well.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks, Preston. I feel the same way you do about blocking comments. I haven't gotten any since that first huge wave -- maybe it's a random occurance? We'll see...

4:42 PM  
Blogger Birgit said...

What a fun summer! We got back from a family reunion in Wyoming (87 relatives) and then are heading out to Maui next month - it's our 20th wedding anniversary this Tuesday, so we are splurging on a big trip (with the kids this time.)

9:29 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

MAUI!!! That just sounds awesome! Happy almost 20th :)!! I need to catch up at your blog to find out about your family reunion. Sounds like fun.

9:52 PM  
Blogger JoMo said...

Hey Kim!
I used to go to that old white New England clapboard church on Fish Hatchery Road. My parents were members there and I think maybe sometimes taught Sunday school. I am trying to remember its name--St. John's, I think. Episcopal. With about half the windows done by Tiffany's workshop and the rest clear glass (if I remember correctly)! My earliest impressions of church were formed there, since we moved there when I was about 2, so I don't remember the church we went to before that in DC/Bethesda at all.
Susan

2:57 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow, Suebee -- this is actually wierd. Have we never discussed this before? How awesome. We went to an old Episcopal Church in Queens until we moved the wonderful St. James the Just in Franklin Square (don't really know what has become of that church. Couldn't find it on the internet...) I'm not sure we ever attended the old Cold Spring Harbor church, or if we just visited when we were in town -- that place certainly leaves an impression -- it is so beautiful. Now I've got to find it so I can put a link in my Church list...

6:59 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

http://www.mainstreet-csh.org/

Here's a good Cold Spring Harbor town link.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

Glad to have you back. Sounds like you've been busy, but enjoying yourself. Thanks for sharing your travels and adventures with us. I enjoyed reading about them. Again, glad to have you back. Enjoy the rest of your week. :)

7:11 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks, Stephanie! Glad to be back at your blog! Things are jumping :)!

Suebee! I just noticed my 4th grade standard spelling error in my last comment. Geez. How weird....

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home