Friday, July 15, 2005

I originally wrote this to MaryEllen, who shared some compelling thoughts on her blog. I previewed it and realized that I was way too long-winded (what else is new!). So I figured I'd spare her the space and post it over here. If you want the background scoop, you'll need to read this. (It's quite worth the visit.)

I have had similar church / religious experiences to those that you've shared in your post. I've gone from the more formal liturgical worship service that I was raised in, to the extreme charasmatic experience -- and in each setting I have met people who seem to really get it -- they reflect the Fruit of the Spirit, they are growing, they reflect God in ways I can only pray to see in my own life one day. And of course on the other side of that coin there are those that just don't seem to get it. (like the woman in your story who felt it was okay to have an affair since her salvation was "safe"). People can always take a good thing, no matter what it is, and tarnish it, mis-represent it, alter it, etc, etc, etc.

If I were to assess my walk, I'd say I've occupied the space on both sides of that line -- even on a day to day basis! I have "walked the walk" and "talked the talk" of the believer when inside I just wasn't in the mood - and the outcome of that was always icky. (and the "walk" and the "talk" can vary from denomination to denomination as you know!)

As I have grown older, my hope in my walk has become simply that my relationship with God will be authentic. That I won't jump on the bandwagon of whatever Christian fad is hot today (and gone tomorrow) -- but that I will pursue Him with all my heart. That I will listen before I act (I'm not always successful at this, as you have seen!) And that I will not say or do what I think is expected of me (what will meet the approval of the listener), but instead say what I believe He is calling me to say. This does not mean that I should blurt out whatever comes into my head (although sometimes I do), this means that I should meditate on my thoughts -- put my words before God, test them against scripture, and then act on what I believe is in accordance with His will.

There is a saying out there "eternal vigilence is the price of freedom". I don't think this was meant as a religious statement, but it invokes a religious connotation to me. I have incredible life-changing freedom in Christ -- but I must be eternally vigilent to pursue my connection to Him everyday. Without Him, it is all meaningless. Without Him, my "good deeds" are misguided, my efforts are all vanity, and I am just a "noisy gong" and a "clanging cymbal". -- And most horribly --As you have indicated in your post, at our worst, without Him -- we can and have gone so far as to commit atrocities in His Name -- How ugly we must seem to Him! How ugly to those who don't know Him!

But amazingly, Divinely, He finds them anyway.

Despite us.

++Thank You Lord that you met me where I was at -- that you encountered me on my own personal road to Damascus. I get in your way most of the time, I think. Help me to move over and just point to You.

5 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

an authentic relationship with God.
I really appreciate your post here and your comments on my site.
eternal vigilence is the price of freedom...so many people seem to take that freedom so casually.
when I saw the infamous film "passion of the Christ" I thought of how trite the expression "its under the blood" has become. And how terrible that is. And oh, the lament, How ugly we must seem to Him! Have you ever seen an ugly newborn? I have.
Both my sons were pretty ugly when they were born...faces only a mother could love. The most remarkable thing about God is that He loves us, no matter how ugly or messed up we look...

8:23 AM  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

an authentic relationship with God.
I really appreciate your post here and your comments on my site.
eternal vigilence is the price of freedom...so many people seem to take that freedom so casually.
when I saw the infamous film "passion of the Christ" I thought of how trite the expression "its under the blood" has become. And how terrible that is. And oh, the lament, How ugly we must seem to Him! Have you ever seen an ugly newborn? I have.
Both my sons were pretty ugly when they were born...faces only a mother could love. The most remarkable thing about God is that He loves us, no matter how ugly or messed up we look...

8:23 AM  
Blogger Venancio Astúrdiga said...

Please face the facts: God does not exist.

But supposed it DID exist. It would be evil, no doubt: how do you explain a powerful God allowing suffering, extreme poverty, war, disease, and a degradating world in all senses?

Do not responde to this comment with preaching words, because I am a convinced and fundamentalist atheist. You are wasting your time. I might be wasting mine too. But at least I do not proclaim in my blog that God does not exist, nor do I spend my life (the one and only life I am going to have ever) writing about the non-existence of God.

Enjoy life. Live. Cry. Laugh. But do not wait for anything at the other end, because there's only a big universe and the dust you will be, joining the inert matter where you came from.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hello again -- Falete or Venacio or whoever you are today -- God not only exists, but He knows you by name (your real name). He has counted the very hairs on your head. I do enjoy life -- in fact the joy I experienced before I knew God was nothing compared to the depths of joy and pain I know today. You are right to question the existence of evil -- I have asked this very question myself -- and I have learned that all I can do is point with reverence to the cross of Christ. He suffered all the degradation you mention -- all so that we can overcome death.

I understand your frustration with the endless banter of the Christians - Arguing, defining, reassessing. I can't explain to you why we do this, but the communication helps us grow. I don't think all Christians spend time this way. I often think that this time would be better spent physically helping someone in need. We are imperfect. But don't let the imperfections of the believers stand in the way of your view of God -- look through them as through a glass. Look beyond them.

I know you find this all to be idle chatter -- but I am praying for you. I am asking that you will encounter God. There are those that would say my time with you is poorly spent -- perhaps this is true. I may never know the outcome of my prayers. But I will be praying non-the-less.

As you know, I believe in eternity -- but in the end, even if I am completely wrong about all of this -- I would rather live my life in the presence and belief of my God and Savior, than not. Without Him, I can do nothing. In Him I can do all things. If there is no God, than I will as you suggest sleep forever in the end -- cease to exist. And still, my life will have been one of hope and light instead of death and ashes.

++All praise to You, Father in heaven. Bring home the Prodigals. Look with mercy on my unusual penpal, and draw him/her into Your presence. You alone know the anguish of our hearts. You alone know the depths of our suffering. Meet Felate and all the other characters he represents where he is at. Nothing is impossible with God. In Jesus name I pray.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

http://elizaphanian.blogspot.com/

For you, Venacio/Falete/etc.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home