Monday, March 15, 2004

Like most parents of kids 10-13, we spend our weekends at sporting events. Different sports seasons overlap -- for example, basketball season begins before football and soccer seasons end, baseball/softball season begins before basketball season ends, and All Stars, All Conference (etc) for these sports tend to overlap the regular season, or at least extend the season a little further, thus overlapping the next sport by whatever length of time the All Stars play. In some cases you play until you lose, causing the guilty over-extended parents the occasional "would you pleeeease let them lose today?" prayer (Shhh -- don't tell...) since until they finally lose, the average Saturday or Sunday could contain (for example), two basketball games, one All Star basketball game, one softball game and one baseball game. (That's two kids, by the way. Only two.)

Thus, we can (and often do) go months without a free weekend. Months. In fact, for the last few years, July is the only month on our calendar (with the exception of big holiday weekends like Christmas and New Year's) when we have the weekends free. We use this time to visit our families in either New York or Iowa. (using up at least 2 of the free weekends). This leaves us two weekends a year without obligation. Two.

I am told that California is a little more insane about this sort of thing than other states. After all, the weather certainly permits baseball in February, Surf Team all year, etc. and so on. I am also told that it is SO MUCH better to keep your kids busy than leave them idle. (Especially with all those raging hormones...). We do all of this running around with them, as a family. And to the best of our ability, we try not to miss any games. (I'm okay with missing practice as a mom -- but dad won't miss one if he can help it. He tries to go to EVERY practice...of course, many times he is the coach...) So, this is the family time they will remember later. We don't watch a lot of TV (who the heck has time for that?) and we have a lot to talk about (great catch at second base! did you see that pitcher? Love the way you did that lay-up shot. Great improvement in the second period. Blah, blah, blah.)

The only lucky thing is that games within a specific sport seem to be consistently one day or the other. For example, all our basketball games are on Sunday afternoon. Practices are mid-week after school and on Saturday. Dad handles practices (so I can work), so for Basketball season, Sundays = church (as long as the games are late -- only one conflict this season; and if we're not too exhausted to go...but that's another topic...) Lunch at home, and then the afternoon basketball circuit. Basketball games are only 1 hour, so the afternoon commitment is minimal, games move quickly, kids are happy (usually) after. Dinner follows. Football and Soccer: practice mid-week: 3 days per week for football, 2 for soccer. Games on Saturday. Football practices and games are 2 hours, games far away (maybe an hour or more) and kids have to arrive an hour early to weigh in and have equipment inspections. One football game can use up a good 5 hours of your Saturday. Soccer practices and games are only 1 hour. Games are local. Not bad. But Dad is a football coach, so Mom handles soccer.

Baseball/Softball is another huge commitment. Both practice 3 times per week for 2 hours (not including batting cages), plus at least one (possible 2-3) games per week. Softball games are limited to 90 minutes and 5 innings, but baseball -- well, baseball seems to go on forever. Games are not scheduled to a standard time frame. Schedules are based on availability of fields and number of teams, and, well, you could play on a Saturday at 8am or a Tuesday night at 7pm. Depends on the draw. During Baseball/Softball season, we can be (and have been) committed to one or the other kid's team every day of the week at some point. Every Day. Since Dad spends so much time on football with the son, he turns his attention more fervently to softball with the daughter. That leaves baseball to me.

Add to this Church, Youth Group, School (my son is a straight A student (so far) -- my daughter As and Bs), Drama class (my son was the lead in last year's show: he played Hawkeye in M.A.S.H...), not to mention laundry, dishes (of course you have to eat at home to make dirty dishes), oh -- and my husband and my full time jobs....AARGH!!!

SO -- all this to make the following announcement: my kids have both decided to take a year off of baseball/softball. When I asked her if there was a chance she want to go back next year, my daughter said, "It's the most boring game I've ever played. I wish the rapture would happen when I'm in the outfield...." (there is no lack of drama at my house...) My son said, "It's fun, but not my favorite -- and, you know, I can't play EVERYTHING." What? He's not Bo Jackson...??? He's met the High School coaches for next year. He'll play for the football, basketball and of course the surf teams -- but he'll close the door on Baseball. Close the Door... (such an ominous concept to me -- the closed door...)

I should be so relieved. So delighted. But instead I feel sad. Grieved. (This is how psychotic I've become). What? No baseball? No more 3 hour games that end at 9:30 pm on a school night? No more huddling under blankets on uncomfortable bleachers? No more chants in the dug-outs with the little girls: "Katie we miss you -- COME HOME!! COME HOME!!" ("if you'll miss the cheers that bad, Mom, I'll yell them at you from the back seat on the way to school" (So young to be so sarcastic...) Whatever will we do instead?

(I know this isn't as much about baseball (maybe a little) as it is about the reality of passing time. I didn't love spending all my time on those bleachers, but I did love the rides to and from the field, the pizza after the game, the one on one (rare) time I'd get to spend with my son surrounding baseball. This closed door represents the end of an era. It reminds me that time is getting by me again. Soon he will drive himself to these commitments, and I will be left in the dust (i warned you about the drama...).)

We still have All Star Basketball (for another month, I think), and then the rumor of Spring Basketball ("just for the fun of it mom"), and surf team every week. This will keep my son busy for a while longer. But my daughter is free until Soccer starts again in August. Free. And boy is she happy.

If only the parents could catch up with the wisdom of the children....

Oh, by the way (even though I told her I wouldn't brag) My daughter's basketball team won their final game, making them the Champions of their division. The Champions. "That's enough for me!" she beams. Well done little "Eagles". Congratulations. Enjoy your well earned time off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home