Tuesday, February 03, 2004

I am frustrated by time constraints these days. I have so much to read, to write, to do -- it seems I'm unable to complete any of the tasks at hand. I want to thank all of you who have helped me with the technology of blogging. There are many things I'd like to do -- more of your blogs I'd like to add to my links, changes to the font size or color, etc. -- but I find I have to choose -- do I post or do I putter? (This hobby can easily become an obsession, I'm sure you have already realized this...) Thank you for hanging in there as I work out the kinks.

I am eager to jump on Laurie's bandwagon (Tahoe Pilgrim) and begin defining certain words we are using in the blogs. I loved seeing Birgit's definitions, and I am working on my own. Before I continue in that direction, I want to complete my thoughts on bridge building from Feb 01 at the complete risk of beating a dead horse...(okay -- here's a trivia tangent for you -- where did that term come from? "beating a dead horse"? What? Why? It is a phrase that makes it's point, but really makes you say "HUH?" or if you really think about it, "eew, gross"...)

This is the thing -- the word bridge from my last post cannot be built by someone else for you. When we as Christians speak of "leading someone to Christ" we have to do so with our feet. I can't build a bridge for you. I can only build one between you and me. I can show you the path that leads to God, maybe even point out the deep gorge that separates us from Him, but I can't build your bridge for you. I can only show you my bridge. I can't take you along with me when I go. You have to build your own. (He'll help you, of course.) But don't look over at my bridge, don't compare yours to mine -- that is as dangerous as looking down if you have a fear of falling.

Okay. Enough about bridges for today.

The word I'd like to beat now is "missional". I figure this will take a while, but I'd like to start here. I am pasting the dictionary definition of "mission" into the blog -- It's only a start, but I figure it's a good one. There are 7 listed definitions on the Encarta dictionary page.

1.
a. A body of persons sent to conduct negotiations or establish relations with a foreign country.
b. The business with which such a body of persons is charged.
c. A permanent diplomatic office abroad.
d. A body of experts or dignitaries sent to a foreign country.
2.
a. A body of persons sent to a foreign land by a religious organization, especially a Christian organization, to spread its faith or provide educational, medical, and other assistance.
b. A mission established abroad.
c. The district assigned to a mission worker.
d. A building or compound housing a mission.
e. An organization for carrying on missionary work in a territory.
f. missions Missionary duty or work.
3. A Christian church or congregation with no cleric of its own that depends for support on a larger religious organization.
4. A series of special Christian services for purposes of proselytizing.
5. A welfare or educational organization established for the needy people of a district.
6.
a. A special assignment given to a person or group: an agent on a secret mission.
b. A combat operation assigned to a person or military unit.
c. An aerospace operation intended to carry out specific program objectives: a mission to Mars.
7. An inner calling to pursue an activity or perform a service; a vocation.

tr.v. mis•sioned, mis•sion•ing, mis•sions
1. To send on a mission.
2. To organize or establish a religious mission among or in.

adj.
1. Of or relating to a mission.
2. Of or relating to a style of architecture or furniture used in the early Spanish missions of California.
3. often Mission Of, relating to, or having the distinctive qualities of an early 20th-century style of plain, heavy, dark-stained wood furniture.

How's that for "food for thought"!? More on this later. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go....

Thanks, Laurie. This is fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home