Friday, February 17, 2006

A prisoner of her own body for over 25 years, my father's dear cousin Kathy was set free this week. She had resided in what had remained of her body, wracked with Multiple Sclerosis, suffering in silence and isolation.

I have a vivid memory of her, young and beautiful, commenting on her lovely children, "I prayed that my children would be healthy. I didn't care if they were beautiful -- yet God made them healthy AND beautiful. What a wonderful God we serve."

I remember this moment often. She seems angelic in my memory, radient. Her own health was already waning, she knew of her disease. Her husband eventually would leave her in her ailing state with her 2 beautiful children. Her son shortly followed him. Her daughter was left to care for her, never wanting to leave her side, calling the ambulance when her mother would collapse from time to time. She was only 12. Eventually the authorities had to remove the child from the home (she was relocated to the home of her aunt) and shortly thereafter had to remove Kathy to a nursing home where her health gradually declined unto her death.

She suffered for more than 25 years. For most of that time all of the thoughts she had, all of the revelations she may have experienced, all of the visions she may have had -- all remained within her. I wonder if she prayed? I wonder if she felt lonely or abandoned? I wonder how many more are out there like her?

Kathy was laid to rest today. She is the first of her generation to go home to heaven. She's a walkin' talkin' girl now -- and I'll bet she's just beautiful.

++Lord, watch over Kathy's mother, her brothers, and her children, her cousins. They have lived with this grief for many years. Help them to heal.

"I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

7 Comments:

Blogger Patti Doughty said...

God bless her. I'm sure, during all those years, she spent many hours pondering what Heaven would be like. Now she knows and her suffering on earth has put her in a unique position in Heaven to be able to intercede to the Father for others in pain.

I'm sorry for you and your father's loss but, especially, I'm sorry for that husband who lost years when actions would have spoken instead of words. And for those children walking through the remainder of their lives without a mother on earth.

Lord, bless Kathy and the ministry she had on earth and now has in Heaven. Amen.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

I am sorry for the loss but glad she is happy now.

I'll be praying for the ones she left behind.

God's Grace.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Again a beautiful picture painted of a loved one. Thank you for sharing.

2:11 PM  
Blogger JoMo said...

Thinking of you and your family, which has seen a lot of departures this year. You've given us a vivid portrait. Now she is fully alive.....

3:11 PM  
Blogger Rulan said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, but comforted to hear she was a Christian. May the Lord bless her memory with many hearts turned to Him for comfort and salvation. May the Lord watch over and keep her children and family safe.
Blessings to you in the Lord.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Kim, I made a post I thought might be very helpful when your daughter and you(?) would be going to the netherlands.

I pray y'all are doing well.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Rulan said...

Hey there. I have missed seeing you around. How are you? Are you okay? Do you need any prayers?

God bless you and keep you.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home